Even before the Pandemic, more and more employers started to conduct interviews using video conferencing software such as Zoom, GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams and others. This is because it tends to be more convenient for remote positions or initial screening interviews.
Since this type of interview is a bit different than a traditional in-person interview, it’s important that you consider a few factors of this format.
These Zoom interview tips can help you master this video software and show employers you’re a qualified candidate:
- Use the mute button.
- Look into the camera while speaking.
- Choose a professional background.
- Find a brightly lit room.
- Pick a quiet space.
- Silence your phone.
- Maintain your focus.
- Turn off notifications.
- Use a laptop or computer (not your smart phone).
- Charge your laptop.
- Update your computer and meeting software well before the meeting time.
- Find a good internet connection.
- Communicate with your household and let them know to be quiet and to stay off any device that would drag down your available bandwidth.
- Wear professional attire.
- Keep your screen clear.
- Practice using Zoom.
- Use appropriate body language.
- Ask your interviewer questions.